The Fuse of Fiction


 An idea arises, perhaps from a sketchbook of ideas in your head, yes, snippets of thought, inspiration from an article you read, a television news story, real life experiences that includes your own, historical records, and, of course,  information from the  creative Universe. 

 So, ideas come from many sources. There is never one way to create a story. It is an intimately personal affair. I can only give one view of it all - from my own writing journey, what I have learned after more than twenty novels. A great catologue, you might think, but only six have been published. The other novels, I can reflect now, are where I learned to write well.

I am always open to where the next novel comes from. I ask the Universe for a story, something important, what the world  needs to hear. Sounds a bit self-righteous, I know, but I want my 900 hours of work to be worthwhile, that I learned something important, that it contributes to a better understanding of human endeavor and engagement, the human experience.

"The Sum of One Man's Pleasure " will be released in the Spring of 2024. And, yes, I asked the muse for help before the story was born. I waited patiently for the right idea. I even began a story, but abandoned it. It didn't feel right. I waited for a month. And then I received a real life gift. Just talking to someone very close to me, a personal experience, the tragic and profound. The discussions continued. Something was manifesting. Characters  wanted to be heard, wanted centre stage. The idea came to life, entered me, and guided the narrative. 

The driving force of the book is a complex character, one we may even despise, but ultimately needs to be understood.  Fiction can do that. It can strive to make sense of the world. The bad can be redeemed. But in real life, the star ultimately burned out, no character arc, no satisfying ending, only the irreconcilable flash of her life. I was gifted with insights, personal accounts of her extreme, and bigger than life personality. I am grateful for the inspiration, humbled to create such a beautuful story.

Yes, the inspiration is bitter sweet, but real. That tangible human experience left an indelible mark that fiction cannot erase.

You've heard it before - you can't make that stuff up.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding the title of my new novel - The Sum of One Man's Pleasure